Automotive Locksmith? - Why you need an Automotive Key Cutter
- Locksmith Industry News
- 21 Feb, 2022
An automotive locksmith is someone who specializes in the service and repair of automotive security systems, primarily on vehicles. If you own a car, truck, or motorcycle, it's likely that at some point you will need to call for an automotive locksmith. It could be because you've lost your keys, locked your keys in the car, need new keys cut, or your locks have been broken into.
Being an automotive locksmith is a lucrative career for the following reasons:
- There are millions of cars on the road, with an average life span of 11 years: Approximately 60 percent of all vehicles in North America utilize keyless entry.
- The growth of the industry is positive. The automotive locksmith industry is expected to grow by 8 percent in the next five years.
- Locksmiths can also be tech-driven. Mobile phone ownership is about 6.1 billion worldwide. Approximately 80 percent of cars have related equipment that can communicate with smartphones through Bluetooth technology. An automotive locksmith can service both the security systems of a vehicle, as well as install Bluetooth locks to communicate with smart devices.
- You have different career paths to choose from. An automotive locksmith can either own their shop or work for a larger company. These professionals have a vast array of tools such as an automotive key cutter and experience at their disposal to open cars, replace keys, create car keys from vehicle identification numbers (VINs) and program keyless remotes.
- An automotive locksmith can also specialize in one or more areas of the profession, such as servicing a specific type of vehicle, such as trucks or exotic sports cars.
What Sort of Salary Can I Expect?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, locksmiths and safe repairers make an average salary of $38,000. Some automotive locksmiths, however, do earn more. The highest earners are senior locksmiths who have years of experience working in the field.
If you plan on being an entrepreneur, you can expect to make between $25,000 and $75,000. Not having a standard salary is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to this career.
How to Become an Automotive Locksmith
Making this your profession entails education and training. The most common ways to become an automotive locksmith are:
1. Attending a School That Specializes in Automotive Technology
It offers programs for people interested in starting their career in locksmithing and completing an A+ certification.
In school, you will learn about all types of automotive locksmiths, including the different services they offer.
You will also gain knowledge on how to use various tools like an automotive key cutter machine and how to program keyless remotes and install security systems on vehicles.
2. Working for an Automotive Locksmith Company
Companies are willing to train you on the job, but it's assumed that you are capable of performing keyless entry products installation, repairing broken door mechanisms and lock cylinders, and using tools like an automotive key cutter.
3. Becoming an Apprentice
Although you won't have a degree or be saving money for college, you can learn more about the job through the hands-on approach. Your employer will handle teaching you about different types of locksmithing tools such as an automotive key cutter, how to work with customers, and programming keyless remotes.
Tips on How to Grow Your Automotive Locksmith Business
If you already have some education and training as an automotive locksmith, perhaps you've decided to make it into a business. How do you make it grow? Here are the best tips:
1. Invest in the Best Tools Like an Automotive Key Cutter
An automotive key cutter is a must-have tool. These cutters can be manual or automatic and come with varying blade types to choose from.
Besides an automotive key cutter, you also need a set of automotive wrenches, specialty screwdrivers, tension wrenches, and more.
These things cost money, but you can save by shopping around. You can find a good deal by going online or at a garage sale by asking a fellow locksmith for some tools if they are going out of business.
2. Educate Yourself to Keep Up with the Ever-Changing Industry
No matter the cost, it's important to read up on new trends in locksmithing. This is because people are always looking for ways to improve their security systems and manufacturers of these products are constantly trying to come out with something more secure.
If you don't keep your knowledge base up to date, then customers will start going to your competition who have more experience.
Not only must you keep up with the latest products, but you must read about new laws and regulations as well. You can stay on top of these laws by joining a professional trade organization.
3. Advertise Your Services
You can start by marketing and advertising your services using multiple platforms that cater to your target audience. You can also partner with other local businesses that would benefit from your security expertise.
For instance, if you're a locksmith for homes and cars, it might be advantageous to work with plumbers and exterminators who often get locked out of properties.
In addition to making your business known, you should maximize the use of technology. For example, if a business installs a new security system or makes changes to their existing one, they'd want a locksmith to come and service it as soon as possible.
Businesses that offer similar services can post what they charge for an appointment on a website so customers can view it easily and plan accordingly.
4. Provide Exceptional Customer Service
It's good to offer a good deal when it comes to automotive locksmith services but if you don't treat your customers right, they will not come back.
First, you need to be on time for appointments. One of the most frustrating things for customers is when they have to wait for a locksmith who is running late.
Being on time not only makes a good impression, but it also lets the customer know that you're reliable and that they can count on you.
Stay calm and professional no matter what the situation is. Customers will sometimes get agitated or even hostile, but it's important to stay calm and professional throughout the entire interaction.
This will help you diffuse the situation and possibly gain the customer's trust.
As you can see, the tips mentioned in this article are useful whether you're just starting out or if you want to improve your business. From how to work with customers, to what tools are needed, and even where you should market your services, it's important to follow these steps.
UHS Hardware is a leading Wholesale Locksmith Supplies copany located in Hollywood Florida.